A. BRIEF INTRODUCTION
Department of Food Technology and Quality Control (DFTQC) is one of the three departments under the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestoks Development of Government of Nepal (GoN). It was established in 1961 A.D. as Department of Food and placed in Singha Durbar, which later in 1965 was sifted to the present location of Barbarmahal, Kathmandu. In 1966, the Department of Food then was renamed as Food Research Laboratory. The laboratory later in 1980 was again converted to Central Food Research Laboratory (CFRL) and known by this name until it became the present department as Department of Food Technology and Quality Control (DFTQC) in 2000 under MoAD, as mentioned earlier.
From the very beginning of its establishment, DFQC played a pioneer role to lay down foundation stone for food quality control system, research and development in the field of food science and technology and nutrition support program. As mandated by Government of Nepal, DFTQC is the apex organization responsible for the enforcement of Food Act and Regulations. It has been working for the implementation of Feed Act and Regulations as well. The main aim is to ensure and enhance the quality and safety of food and feed products in the country. Further, the department has a paramount role in augmenting appropriate food processing and post harvest techniques to promote agribusinesses. Similarly, the department has been implementing various food and nutrition activities for the reduction of various forms and types of malnutrition in the country. DFTQC, as has been entrusted as CODEX Contact point for Nepal for more than three decades, has also been given the role of National SPS Enquiry Point in 2004.
B. Organization Structure
Currently DFTQC has the following Divisions/ Sections in the central level.
- Food and Feed Safety and Quality Control Division
- Food Technology Development and Nutrition Division
- National Food and Feed Reference Laboratory
- Planninig, Monitoring and Evaluation Section
- SPS Enquiry Point
- Codex and Infosan Secretariat
- Administration Section
The structure of DFTQC also accompanies Six offices at Biratnagar, Janakpur, Hetauda, Bhairahawa, Nepalgunj and Dhangadhi , 24 Division Ofiices and 12 food Import Export Quality Certification Offices at various districts and custom points all over Nepal.
Create environment for availability of wholesome, safe and nutritious food to all Nepali citizens and facilitate food trade.
- Safeguard and protect the health of consumers by assuring the availability of safe and nutritious food with the creation of awareness among producers, traders as well as consumers and facilitate food trade in a coordinated and collaborative approach based on scientific evidence with the updated regulatory framework.
- Promote food businesses by developing appropriate food processing technology through R & D and disseminating and adopting the outcome of research for the development of food processing enterprises.
- Promote nutritional status of people through the development of food based nutritional approaches.
- Ensure availability of wholesome, safe and nutritious food to the consumer by assuring the quality in food production and trade.
- Develop and disseminate appropriate food processing technology to promote entrepreneurship.
DFTQC has the following three major objectives:
- Maintain safety and quality of food and feed products in the country by implementing updated food and feed act and regulations
- Promote entrepreneurship by developing and disseminating appropriate technologies.
- Improve nutritional status of the people through food-based approaches.